On Jul 23, 2005, at 4:04 AM, dhbailey wrote:

As I recall reading (no I can't remember nor cite where I read these things) what Adobe did was to convince the courts that the electronic files which describe the fonts is copyrightable, not the fonts that were generated by the electronic files.

Perfectly reasonable. Writing the font definitions is a creative effort, even if you do it with the help of software. You have every right to make your own font whose characters look just like the ones in whatever font it is you want to copy, but you've got to work out all the curves and dimensions yourself. You can't just grab take the entire font file.

That's why all the font foundries can have look-alike fonts of all the most popular typefaces. Yes, there are models that they're all copying (some of which are hundreds of years old). But they each develop their definitions on their own.

mdl