On 27 Jul 2005 at 13:54, A-NO-NE Music wrote:

> David W. Fenton / 2005/07/27 / 01:30 PM wrote:
>
> >I don't quite understand the fear of changing permissions. In my
> >experience with OS's with file systems that allow the control of file
> > access, it's something that *ought* to be something the user has
> >full control over. Being able to set permissions is a *feature*, a
> >benefit, not something to be feared!
>
> Interesting hearing this from you :-)

Well, if only more Windows users knew about setting permissions so
they could beef up the default security (Windows vastly overuses the
EVERYONE group, which can even include anonymous users who've
connected with failed logon attempts! The Authenticated Users group
is the appropriate one to replace EVERYONE permissions with; the only
exception is printer sharing, which you often wouldn't want
authenticated).

But I'm kind of mixing different issues here (though related).

> As Unix has been, it is a multi user OS, and user doesn't own the
> system.  System does.  Unless you know Unix well enough to deal with
> system itself, their files are protected, or OS might never boot again
> when you change low level file permission to the user from system whey
> user thought s/he owns the file.

But SYSTEM is, nonetheless, still just a proxy for me when I have my
Administrator hat on. Thus, it should do what I tell it to do.

> OSX even disables root account by default, while 'sudo' functions
> enough so root isn't that necessary.  Apple must have thought about
> non-Unix user messing with permission by logged as root, and I think
> they were very right.

Most modern UNIXen do the same thing, I believe.

> Anyway, DiskUtil Repair Permission only works to certain level, and is
> not for fixing user error.  Once permission bit is screwed, you need
> to use CUI to remedy the problem, or simply reinstall OSX.

This is the part that makes absolutely no sense to me. If the SYSTEM
controls it, it shouldn't allow any user, even ROOT, to change it.