dennis c. wrote:

Like many of you, I've been fooling around with the Sibelius 4 demo. Among other things, I tried opening a few fairly simple Finale 2004 files (saved as ETF, as requested by Sibelius), and they are such a mess that they are just about useless. Has anyone actually managed to get decent results? Are there any tricks, such as copying the whole thing into some kind of template (as I'd do in Finale)?

For all the touted "openness" of the finale file format, it still needs a lot of debugging and disassembly. Try (if you have any) earlier versions of Finale and see what the results were.

When I tried opening a then-current Finale file (I believe it was Finale2003) with the then-current Sibelius (version 2.11) I ran into problems and was told by Sibelius that they were aware of problems opening the most recent version of Finale into Sibelius.

The new MusicXML1.1 should make such transfers much better, although it does require you to invest in new Dolet plugins for both Sibelius and Finale to get the maximum benefit. It seems Recordare are really onto something, well on their way to becoming the lingua franca of the music notation world.

--
David H. Bailey