Aaron, you're missing the point. The Finale Edition GPO is supposed to be a teaser for the full version of GPO. If you like what you hear, you can upgrade. But someone upgrading to GPO Full would *lose* important functionality (i.e., automatic AU/VST Setup via the Setup Wizard) they had before they upgraded to GPO Full.

This clearly needs to be fixed, or a lot of customers will become very upset. And it's not like this is a hard fix for MM to make.

- Darcy
-----
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Brooklyn, NY

On 31 Jul 2005, at 1:26 PM, Aaron Sherber wrote:

At 12:38 PM 07/31/2005, Darcy James Argue wrote:
>Aaron, it's absurd that it works with GPO Finale Edition but not the
>full version of GPO.

I'm not usually one to defend Makemusic, but I think I will here, a little. The question was why the *setup wizard* in particular doesn't recognize libraries other than Finale GPO. As I said, I think the answer is that even though the wizard is certainly theoretically capable of *detecting* other libraries, I don't think it could, on its own, do the other things that the setup wizard does -- namely, give full names to all the instruments and assign them to instrument groups for easy access.

Having said that, I think that there should be an option that lets you add your own sound library definition files to the setup wizard, just as you can edit pagesizes.txt or whatever. This means that you would have to to some of the initial work yourself, like assigning instruments to groups and giving them a score order, but then once you save this info the wizard will always know it. And of course users would soon be sharing these files, so that it would become even simpler.

(This is along the lines of saying that the setup wizard should let you specify your own default file, or should use what you setup in the main app as your default file -- something that would take about 5 lines of code to accomplish.)

I also think you could make the case that Finale should have knowledge of full GPO built in as well as Finale GPO, though of course that should only show up as an option if you have the library on your system.

>  And we're not talking about any old
>"other library," we're talking about GPO Full, which is supposed to be
>just as seamlessly integrated as GPO Finale Edition.

Just as seamlessly integrated for *playback*, but not necessarily for score setup. If you set up your score on your own for full GPO, won't it still play back with HP interpretation of dynamics, pizz, arco, etc? If not, then that's a different complaint from the original question.

Aaron.