On 31 Jul 2005, at 5:22 PM, Craig Parmerlee wrote:

Unless you want to do something more than sit back and admire the beauty of your creation. If you are trying to share the score and send MIDI demos over the net, for example, you are going to be farting around a lot with those files.

At this point, I'm not sure why anyone would want to send a MIDI demo over the net, because you have absolutely no control over how that file will actually sound on the recipient's computer. It's much safer to send an audio demo, like an MP3 or AAC file.

Not to mention the fact that it is simply missing sounds that 90% of us would consider essential: sax, bass, electric piano, guitar, etc.

I don't know about "90%" but those instruments were simply not available at shipping time. They will be included in the upcoming GPO Jazz/Big Band edition, which you can preorder on MakeMusic's website. I have every reason to expect that the GPO Finale edition included in Finale 2007 will also include some of the instruments from the GPO Jazz/Big Band set.

In the past I have run my MIDI files through the Roland VSC. It supports ALL the GM instruments and sounds pretty darned good and requires ZERO adjustments to my Finale score. With a HP-endowed MIDI file and VSC, I just don't see a lot of benefit with GPO. It sounds like a 1% difference to me for a LOT of extra work.

Before Fin2006, this was true. But with Fin2006, the "extra work" is really very minimal, especially if you start with the Setup Wizard.

- Darcy
-----
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Brooklyn, NY