Darcy James Argue wrote:

On 31 Jul 2005, at 5:22 PM, Craig Parmerlee wrote:

Unless you want to do something more than sit back and admire the beauty of your creation. If you are trying to share the score and send MIDI demos over the net, for example, you are going to be farting around a lot with those files.

At this point, I'm not sure why anyone would want to send a MIDI demo over the net, because you have absolutely no control over how that file will actually sound on the recipient's computer. It's much safer to send an audio demo, like an MP3 or AAC file.

A simple, reliable 64KB MIDI that adheres to GM settings versus a 5 MB download? I realize a lot of people have high speed connections these days, but still, I find MIDI vastly preferable in most cases. I mean, Finale is a composition/arranging/notation tool. I use MIDI files regularly to update my partners/clients on the status of projects. This works very well, even with HP effects embedded in the MIDI file. Sending them an MP3 would accomplish very little. They aren't expecting me to produce a realistic playback. They're expecting me to produce a playable chart. If they want to look at things like rhythms and voicing, MIDI can, MP3 can't.

If they have a compatible Finale release, I'd prefer to send them a MUS file. But unfortunately there aren't any forward-compatible releases, so MIDI is a close-enough solution. In the future, I look forward to sending them a MusicXML file. Even if bandwidth were infinite, I wouldn't use MP3 in most cases.