At 11:09 AM 08/01/2005, dhbailey wrote:
>I just spent a very frustrating half-hour before I realized that the
>place to change channels isn't the instrument list but is the
>keyboard-like interface of the VST setup

Yes, that was in one of my earlier posts.

>However, when I edit that, a comparable edit is not made in the
>Instrument List window, so if I am configuring a file to play through an
>external device I need to edit that as well.  And the edit there won't
>have any affect on the channel I edit in the GPO dialog.

Well, yes, I suppose. That all makes sense to me. The edits you make in the GPO dialog tell GPO what channels to listen for. It doesn't tell any other device.

>But if I edit the instrument playback list, even if I am using GPO, and
>so assign a channel that doesn't have a patch loaded, there will be no
>sound.

Yes, that's also true.

>So it seems that Instrument list edits can affect GPO playback, but GPO
>edits don't always affect Instrument List data.

I don't think either affects either, really. The instrument list tells Finale what MIDI channel to use for each staff. The Kontakt dialog tells Kontakt what channels to map to what patches. If you things around, neither one talks to the other.

>However, if you load
>two different patches and assign them both to OMNI, you get one sound or
>the other for all your staves

That's what I would expect. OMNI probably means to listen to all MIDI channels and play that sound.

>score utilizes more than 16 channels and you want to make it playable on
>a standard 16-channel midi playback device, but then that's been true
>ever since MakeMusic expanded midi capability to more than 16 channels
>and there's never been a way around that.

Yes, exactly.

Aaron.