On 19 Aug 2005 at 0:24, Owain Sutton wrote:

> David W. Fenton wrote:
> > On 18 Aug 2005 at 22:28, Owain Sutton wrote:
> >>My mistake, it's Windows+U
> >
> > Well, that does nothing on my Win2K PC.
> >
> > What is the "Utility manager," in any event? I don't recognize the
> > term.
>
> On my system it gives access to the narrator, an onscreen keyboard and
> a magnifier - and the way the list is presented makes it look like
> other accessibility options can be installed to appear there.

OK, I guess that has to be loaded first in order for the system to
respond to the command. Either that, or it's something specific to
WinXP.

There's some keystroke command that turns the screen upside down,
too. I found out about it when somebody in the office I was working
in happened to strike those keys accidentally and ended up with an
upside-down screen. I was able to find the solution by Googling a
bit. Ah, yes, just checking, it's Ctrl-Alt-Up Arrow, if your video
card supports it (and it's a toggle -- it just rotates 180 degrees
more each time you strike it).

I think the only time it's useful would be if you're using a laptop
with a screen projector, or in a kiosk scenario where for whatever
reason, the screen has to be upside down.

I notice at NYU they have these announcement boards that are large
flat screen HDTV monitors turned vertically that happen to be driven
by what looks like NT 4 -- one time I saw one with the NT 4 desktop,
squished to be every tall and narrow.

But I digress. . .