Hi Darcy,

The way I understand it....Crash Cymbal is singular (not plural)...it is a suspended cymbal. But this term is often mixed up because Clash Cymbals are the two cymbals that are hit together like plates... (hence Piatti...pl.) Often folks will say Crash Cymbals when what is really meaning is Clash Cymbals. When I'm writing, I say Piatti (meaning Clash Cymbals)...not Piatti Cymbals because that is redundent as you pointed out, to avoid the confusion. Percussionists will know exactly what you are asking for. Orchestrally speaking I'll then say Sus Cymbal (and additionally Sm. Med. Lg. to be even more specific.) when I want a Crash Cymbal.

I only use Crash (Cr.) in a drum kit part. And I guess...the modern Hi-Hat is actually a decendant of Piatti.

Just my understanding and practices...:-)

Best,

Karen

Can anyone tell me what the difference is supposed to be between the cymbals they call "piatti cymbals" (found at C6, C#6, and D6) and the "crash cymbal" (found at D#6)? I know they all *sound* different (and the "crash cymbals" are obviously hit harder and allowed to righ) but aren't all of these samples crash cymbals? And what is a "piatti cymbal" anyway -- isn't that like saying "cymbal cymbal"? Am I missing something here? Does the word "piatti cymbal" have some special meaning -- distinct from "crash cymbals"?

- Darcy
-----
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Brooklyn, NY