A bit more comprehensive answer to what Johannes Gebauer wrote, than what I've seen thus far:

Just out of curiosity, I am currently wondering whether a printed edition from 1978 in the US is still under copyright (for the printed edtion, not for the piece itself, which is from the 19th century)?

While there is, in Europe, the concept of a "typgraphical" copyright, wherein the layout of a work on the page is eligible for a separate, and generally shorter copyright, than the composer's right, there is no such concept in the U.S. Only content is eligible for copyright protection. A piece published in the 19th century is in the public domain. If, however, an editor in 1978 added new content to the work, correcting printer's errors, or other obvious errors in the original, or by adding performance indications, for example, adding the indications needed to adapt a work originally conceived for a three manual organ, to a two manual one, of by arranging it for a novel combination of instruments, as for example, by adapting the a Bach Prelude and Fugue for organ for brass quartet. So, if you have access to an original of the edition, and can determine what editorial content may have been added and restore the original, there is no copyright, and in the U.S., if you make a different arrangement, (taking the same Bach P&F and arranging it for woodwind quartet, instead of Brass quartet), you can claim a copyright on that for yourself. There is little case or statutory law to define how much editorial content justifies a new copyright; I've seen copyright claimed for eliminating one stanza of a hymn text, I've seen it claimed for re-voicing a single chord, as for example, in a C major chord, where the tenors sang middle c, and the altos, the e third above, exchanging the notes. I am inclined to think that neither of these claims to copyright would withstand a legal challenge.

ns