On 20:57 Uhr David W. Fenton wrote:
The Peters volume that I was looking at is a reprint of one of their old editions, with a preface dated 1852, so one might guess that the musical text reflects much older engraving rules.

This reflects my observations as well. I have here a volume of various organ preludes published in 1927, and it is extremely inconsistent. That's the music I am currently working on, hence the problems trying to convince the client that the extra accidentals after system breaks are necessary.

I also have several older editions of various organ works, dating back to about the turn of the century, and they seem to not have these courtesy accis. So from what I am seeing I think I can make a case that practice changed in the first half of the 20th century, and that by about the 40s the extra accis were pretty much established convention.

That is not to say that the rule will be followed without exception, I am certain one will find exceptions even in major publications (although having looked through quite a number of them I didn't find any).

Johannes
--
http://www.musikmanufaktur.com
http://www.camerata-berolinensis.de