At 8:28 AM -0700 9/12/05, Chuck Israels wrote:
On Sep 12, 2005, at 7:06 AM, Javier Ruiz wrote:

It had to be fantastic to play with them, Chuck!

It was a wonderful few weeks playing with those singers. Their French bass player, Guy Pederson, was homesick and simply hated being on the road. The singers had heard me play with Bill Evans a number of times (at the Village Vanguard), and I had played with their drummer, Daniel Humair, many times in Paris in 1959. They had a three week tour that I agreed to play while Guy went home to France.

Wow! I may have heard you with them. It was at a club in the Village, I was in love with the group, and it was always worth a chuckle when Ward introduced the bass player and drummer as "our 9th and 10th voices," so I know exactly what you mean below.

One of the particularly good things about it was the balance. Everything I played - every nuance - had an influence on the sound of the group, because the voices did not overpower the bass, and Daniel played the drum parts on nothing but brushes on a High Hat cymbal and a cardboard box from a 15" reel of recording tape clamped in a snare drum stand. He made the recordings with them with the same setup.

An Ampex box, I hope!  Gotta have high quality.

Thanks for sharing, Chuck.  Brings back good memories.

John (who grew up in Everett)

--
John & Susie Howell
Virginia Tech Department of Music