Darcy James Argue asked:
The full version of Kontakt can supposedly import soundfonts. This would make it theoretically possible to combine GPO instruments with Finale SoftSynth instruments. Anybody actually tried this?

I gave this a try because the question got me curious. The short answer is "Yes, but..."

I have the latest Kontakt (2.02) and it does indeed open soundfont files. The problem is that in the Finale soundfont that I tried, all the instruments are out of tune, not just with A440, but within itself as well. It would take a lot of work to bring each instrument to a useable state, I think.

Of course, why you would use the Finale soundfont with Kontakt, when it comes with a much better sound library, is relevant here.

The other problem with Kontakt 2.02 is that for some reason it doesn't open the full GPO instruments (or Symphonic Choirs for that matter). It says that the GPO program is not registered (which it is). Kontakt 2.01 has no problem with the GPO instruments, but this version has other issues that make it not useable. For added weirdness, Kontakt 2.02 does open the Finale version of GPO with no problem.

I can only assume that Native Instruments will eventually fix these bugs (these bugs have been confirmed by many on their discussion list, although not a word from the company). Until then, Kontakt 2 is not much of a solution to your main problem.

--Randolph Peters--