On 28 Sep 2005 at 0:08, A-NO-NE Music wrote:

> David W. Fenton / 2005/09/26 / 05:40 PM wrote:
> >On 26 Sep 2005 at 14:29, Christopher Smith wrote:
> >> . . . All there would be
> >> left to do is to compare them with the original (presumably
> >> sixteen-bit digital.) I would suppose that the maximum of about 3
> >> dB differences in the mid-range wouldn't be very audible.
> >
> >I have uploaded the source WAV here:
> >
> >http://www.dfenton.com/Midi/MozartK581Arr/MozartK581ArrA.zip
>
> OK, I redone the spectragraph.
> <http://a-no-ne.com/temp/mp3Test.gif>
> This time, I changed the scale so you can see the differences in high
> better. You might think 8k and above is not necessary to human ear,
> but this is where the time impulse lives to reproduce the depth of the
> image.

That's super! Thanks so much, Hiro.

And it definitely confirms what I hear, in that it's more an ambience
difference and a vague sense of harshness in the 128 that I hear.

Very interesting!

BTW, I assume that you produced the spectrograph with some piece of
high-end audio software that you have. I Googled to see if there was
any freeware/shareware to do the same thing, and couldn't find
anything. Any ideas/suggestions, without spending money?