At 10/18/2005 11:50 AM, Johannes Gebauer wrote:

>On 18.10.2005 A-NO-NE Music wrote:
>>> Well, I am going to ask for a refund...
>>

>> I don't want to offend anyone, and will do my best not to, but anyone
>> who is in this attitude should not use personal computer.  It is a fact
>> of life there is, and will not be in a near future, no such thing as bug-
>> free software.
>>

>I couldn't have said it any better. It would be worrying if MakeMusic
>didn't fix this bug soon, but otherwise we just have to live with bugs
>in new versions.
>
>I have used 2k6 since it came out, and have not been struck by this bug.
>That is not to say I won't be struck in the future. However, even if it
>does happen to me, I am unlikely to lose more than an hours work.

NB:  I have not been following this thread very closely.

In the file editors (that is what Finale is) that I use, I set automatic backup to 2 minutes.

I do not remember if the timing of automatic backups is settable in Finale.

I do remember restoring an .asv (I think) file because something happened on the computer, it may not have been Finale's fault.

As a commercial software developer at a company who tries to respond quickly to customer problems, I know that I spend a lot of time investigating a bug and offering work-arounds, plus issuing service packs for the current release _several_ times a year.

I think Finale has a larger problem of trying to support two entirely different platforms at the same time. This is a huge issue.

I used to work at companies (MapInfo and Progress) that tried to support multiple platforms (ie. Mac, Windows, OS/2 and multiple Unixes) from the same code base. Believe me, it makes the coding substantially more difficult.

If I get a request to make the current product that I work on, run on Linux, my resume will be out to recruiters within 15 minutes ;-)

Phil Daley          < AutoDesk >
http://www.conknet.com/~p_daley