On Oct 23, 2005, at 2:58 PM, Christopher Smith wrote:

But if you really want the belt-and-suspenders approach (so your pants REALLY won't fall down!) then "tr b" would certainly be correct. [...]

While I agree that nothing is technically wrong with the "tr b" notation, I wouldn't call it the true belt-and-suspenders solution. The way I see it, if you don't mark the trill at all, the player is naturally going to trill to Ab. What are the alternatives? Without any markings, there's no reason why a player would think he's supposed to go to Abb (ie, G nat), and trilling Gb to A nat is going to feel very weird, so of course he'll do Ab.

If, on the other hand, you actually mark a flat in there, the player is going to double-take and think, "wait, why did they write a flat there? It's already flat. Am I supposed to go to double-flat? And then the player is overthinking the situation and unsure what to do, whereas if you'd said nothing at all he would have been fine.

So I'd say that the simple solution is to not mark the trill at all, and the belt-and-suspenders solution is either a flat in parentheses or a spell it out with a cue note.

mdl