On 10/26/05 3:44 PM, "dhbailey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> When I look at all the various publishers who have been in business a
> long long time, with all the various engravers' work, the more I find it
> doesn't matter as long as the music is legible, not hard on the eyes and
> is clearly laid out so time doesn't have to be wasted by musicians
> trying to decipher what's meant.
>
> The vast differences in appearance between Breitkopf&Hartel,
> Boosey&Hawkes, Schott, European-American, G. Schirmer, E.C. Schirmer,
> Carl Fischer, Southern Music, plus countless smaller houses, make me
> realize that clarity is the only issue -- if a font looks good to you
> and you lay the music out properly, that's what counts.
>
> House rules govern much of the appearance issues, and they are as
> important as (if not more so than) font issues.

Thanks for sharing your opinion, David -- I very much agree with your
assessment.  I suppose what's got me thinking about this more lately is that
I've never really had a specific problem with Maestro -- it's always been
acceptable for my needs -- but I also haven't been able to shake a certain
feeling that there was something better out there.  Of course, the fact that
I can't put my finger on exactly what it is that gives me that feeling
doesn't really help me to figure out a preferred replacement.

-- Mike