On Nov 6, 2005, at 2:29 PM, dhbailey wrote:

Christopher Smith wrote:

On Nov 6, 2005, at 8:43 AM, A-NO-NE Music wrote:

For jazz, it wasn't even a little kazoo band until HP was introduced
(when was that?).  Listening to the even 8th during proofread was so
painful back then.

Even in 2002 you could have swing playback in defined amounts (the lighter the better, as far as I am concerned), and maybe before that version too. I didn't use it much at the time, but the lab computers at school still have 2002, and there it is.

Swing playback goes way, way back. I think it was there way back when I started using Finale, version 3.5, but you had to get at it via the metronome tool.

The midi tool actually - note durations. Maybe the control is still there, I haven't looked lately. It would be incredibly fussy to do, but it allowed note by note control, so you could select the amount of swing for each selected note (or for a whole area) providing the possibility of making a line of successive eighth notes swing gently (almost imperceptibly) and adjusting anticipations to swing in triplet feel (as they should). Oh for a way of having the computer analyze a piece and apply that! It may be an AI problem that a clever programmer could solve, but I suspect there are more pressing problems for highly skilled people to pursue.

I am still eagerly awaiting GPO Jazz, so that I can hear a closer approximation of my orchestrations, but I have no illusions about getting the kind of rhythmic nuances that reasonably skilled jazz musicians play instinctively. Guess I'm stuck with flesh and blood human playback.

Chuck

Chuck Israels
230 North Garden Terrace
Bellingham, WA 98225-5836