On 26 Nov 2005 at 22:42, Johannes Gebauer wrote:

> On 26.11.2005 Simon Troup wrote:
> > I don't really think I need to explain why configuring an OS within
> > an emulator in another OS is unattractive. I've used Virtual PC with
> > Win 98 SE, Win XP and Win 2000 - it's buggy and has a tremendous
> > performance hit, things don't work at anything like native windows
> > speed.
>
> the whole point of Virtual PC on Intel Macs is that  it will run in
> native mode on the Mac processor, so the performance hit is not
> present.

Well, if you think about it, it can't really do that. What if an OS X
app and a VPC app try to access the same hardware or memory at the
same time? VPC would always have to be a slave of OS X. Now, it could
be that Intel underneath OS X could provide enough performance
improvement to make VPC much snappier, but I don't think there'd ever
be any real possibility of VPC being able to go direct to the
hardware, since VPC wouldn't know anything about what OS X is doing.

Of course, maybe it's possible to have a "traffic cop" layer between
VPC and OS X, and have VPC say to the traffic cop "can I have access
to the video interface so I can paint the screen?" and the VPC
traffic cop layer would say "sure -- you can paint in these areas of
the screen, and I'll tell your host OS to take a break until you're
done". I don't know if that kind of thing would be possible or not,
but it would be the only way to actually get the kind of benefit you
seem to be thinking will be automatic for VPC.

And, of course, when I say "direct to hardware" I'm being very loose
with terminology, as no modern OS allows applications direct access
to hardware in the first place (every modern OS has a hardware
abstraction layer that the OS and apps communicate with, and the HAL
runs at a very low level of the OS, communicating with the interfaces
that talk to the actual hardware, which would be interrupts on Intel
and who knows what approach on PPC).

In any event, I can't see how there is any way that VPC would be
anything other than a child process of OS X and, thus, restricted to
the same hardware and memory restrictions as any other process
running on OS X. That would mean no direct hardware access at all,
and the need for the same translation layer under VPC to convert to
OS X calls that is needed today when VPC is running on OS X on top of
a PPC.

> This whole discussion has begun to turn around in circles now.

I think it's pretty clear what you've been saying. I just don't think
it's very likely that VPC will benefit as much from the conversion as
you suggest it might. In a certain sense, it's no different than the
virus question -- viruses don't run on the hardware but on the OS, so
MacIntel doesn't change OS X's level of vulnerability at all.
Likewise, since VPC is still running on top of OS X, it won't be able
to communicate directly with hardware, so there won't be any real
change in its performance, except if OS X itself already gets a boost
from running on Intel.