On 6 Dec 2005 at 23:36, Owain Sutton wrote:

> David W. Fenton wrote:
> > On 6 Dec 2005 at 17:28, Owain Sutton wrote:
> >
> >>David W. Fenton wrote;

> >>Because you only get so many free searches each day - there's a
> >>subscription service which allows unlimited searches.
> >
> > Is the Royal Mail not a government service? That is, shouldn't it be
> > free?
>
> It's not a 'government service', but a public limited company whose
> majority owner is the British Government.

It's called the "Royal Mail" and it's not considered a government
service?

> And in any case, there's plenty of "government services", from
> passports to self-service photocopies in libraries, that aren't free.

My point is not actually about having to pay. It's reasonable that
for a certain volume of requests you'd be required to pay beyond that
point.

However, many free resources limit the number of times you can use
them in a day, and they don't require a logon. All they do is count
the number of requests from a particular IP address. I can tick off a
half dozen such sites. You can certainly pay for unlimited service.

But I see no reason why you should have to set up an account and
logon to look up one single postal code. That is completely
senseless, and is completely orthogonal to the question of whether
one should or should not pay for volume services.