On Dec 23, 2005, at 4:23 PM, Kim Richmond wrote:

I have two beats filled with a dotted eight, a sixteen, and two eighth notes. How do I get them to beam together (on a regular basis)?
All the best,
KIM R

Assuming 4/4...

If you select the time signature tool, double click the first measure, and click More Options, you can have 4/4 display while Finale thinks it is in 2/2. Then beaming will be to the half note by default. The only problem with this is that Finale will only display two slashes per bar instead of four when Slash Notation staff style is applied.

To have already-entered music conform to the changed time signature, use Mass Edit>Rebeam>Rebeam Music.

Or you can avoid the whole faked-time-sig issue by entering all the music in 4/4, then selecting only the measures containing that figure, and use Mass Edit>Rebeam>Rebeam to Time Signature and change it to 2/2. This will only change the beaming, not the time signature, so your slashes will still be OK. This is the method I would use, but you asked how to have it happen by default, which is trickier.

Now for the parental lecture. You didn't ask, but it's the price of the advice. I don't suggest beaming a dotted figure like that. Four eighths, yes, but any variation from 4 simple eighths should be beamed to the quarter note, as Finale defaults to in 4/4.

Enjoy,

Christopher