At 03:20 PM 1/4/06 -0500, David W. Fenton wrote:
>But I cannot construct a logical path to that destination without
>first knowing that the feature is associated with transposition. That
>association is not at all obvious to me.

I'm with David on this problem of poorly placed and described features.

Finale's help files and manuals are not the answer. You could spend days
looking up features that *might* seem to be what you need but turn out not
to be what you need -- features you also won't remember when you *do* need
them. (Tobias's mouse hover is very helpful in such situations.)

Until it was recently mentioned here, I'd been copying to new staves and
pasting back in different layers, or re-entering all the notes by hand. The
transposition feature needs a rework to make its options instantly obvious
and easier to use with a more effective dialog as well.

But that's minor. It's not just that one dialog. The swamp of features
that, for example, crosses Finale's *own* plugins (which should be
features) with third-party plugins (some shipped partly with Finale), the
mishmash of mass mover activities, etc., has now turned Finale into more of
a usability nightmare than ever. I've been using it since version 2.2 --
that's 12 years, for goodness sakes -- and still can't find dozens of
features that I *know* are there somewhere because they're not obvious,
they use obscure terms, there's no proper manual or help file
cross-referencing, and the interface is a mess.

The real issue is not RTFM, help files, printed manuals, or what-have-you.
It's that software should *no longer require* anyone to RTFM for everyday
use. Sophisticated, well-designed programs as powerful as Finale, and some
with almost as long a history, have outgrown this need (I haven't cracked
open the manuals for Photoshop, Pagemaker, Sonar, Adobe Audition, and any
of my graphics or video editors in months). The more Finale maintains its
old GUI, the more confusing and forgettable its features become. Why is
D'Arcy, for example, writing supplementary manuals for an undocumented
major feature? Why is the PDF manual still indexed like it was 1992? This
is all absurd.

Finale got a good start when the document options were cleaned up, the
cursor-select was established, and the expression tool was consolidated.
Then they dropped the usability ball. There's still a *lot* more good
rethinking needed for the workflow, and the updating behaviors of Finale's
actions need coordination. Actions need to be visible and obvious. (I still
believe ownership visibility and front-back arrangement of elements are
essential. And last year I designed a completely revised toolbar that
mimics programs with successful interfaces ... but the discussion kinda
dropped dead here.) (That doesn't even begin to discuss the scandalous
measure-dependent data structure!)

You don't need to RTFM, you don't need a longer manual, a more exhaustive
manual. You need to make the program work so it doesn't need a manual.
After taking tutorials (and even without them), every time a user refers to
a manual for program questions (vs. notation questions) *must* be
considered a failure of programming an effective user interface. (Yes, as
Noel suggests, the visual reference card is excellent. Everybody needs a
cheat-sheet.)

But instead of peripheral new features and manual-hunting, it's time for a
complete, uncompromising and ruthless overhaul of Finale's interface that
takes advantage of advances in hardware, operating systems, and user behavior.

Dennis