At 4:22 PM -0500 1/6/06, dhbailey wrote:
Andrew Stiller wrote:

Not to mention the fact that some flutes actually *can* play a low Bb.

I wasn't aware of that -- I've only encountered flutes which play to low B. Cool!

I'm not sure you could buy one today, unless it's completely custom-made. But I understand that they were available in Vienna at the turn of the 20th century, and the Strauss (among others) wrote for them. I even think I've read about piccolos, in the same time and place, with low Bb, which since standard piccs don't even have a low C would have been VERY unusual.

John

--
John & Susie Howell
Virginia Tech Department of Music