Brad Beyenhof wrote:

On 1/6/06, David W. Fenton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On 6 Jan 2006 at 14:04, Brad Beyenhof wrote:

On 1/6/06, David W. Fenton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

And it seems to me that there oughtn't be any reason not to have
such a menu choice in both locations.

But if you follow that logic to its conclusion, you'll put discovery
paths to each dialog in multiple locations that might seem equally
useful. With every feature accessible from multiple places, there will
be so many choices that *nothing* will be easy to find!

I don't get it.

I'm just saying that including a feature at multiple points in the
menus will add to the number of choices in those menus, therefore
requiring the user to look through more menu options while attemptng
to find the desired function.

Have you ever written software? Or designed a web page?

I've not actually written software, but I've developed it (and left
the actual coding to those who knew the language). And I've written a
few simple web pages.

Actually, that latter is a good one.

Consider a CONTACT link on a web page. Most websites put it on every
single page, and the link goes to a single page. Is that confusing?
Of course not! What would be confusing was if you could only get to
the CONTACT page by navigating to a single one of the many pages on a
website.

Yes, but the CONTACT link is generally in the same place on each page.
The user can find it easily, and does not have to wade through a
different group of options on each page to discover it.

And it's not called CONTACT on one page and DISCUSS IT WITH US on another page and DIRECT LINK on a third page and CORRESPONDENCE OR TELEPHONE INFORMATION on a fourth page. It's called CONTACT everywhere it's mentioned in a web-site, whether it's a single page that's hard to find or every page.

So to carry David Fenton's analogy over to Finale, he'd find the same confusing TRANSPOSE label under Canonic Utilitis and Mass Mover and Edit and every other menu he might think of to place his "double-at-a-specific-interval-on-the-same-staff" feature. And if he didn't consider what he wanted to be "TRANSPOSE" he'd still miss it. He'd just have more places to miss it. What he's asking for is different labels for the same feature, and placing those different labels in different locations. Which would be incredibly bad web-site design.

[snip]

--
David H. Bailey