> Yes, but what if there are no beams (a half note and a quarter note,
> for example)? Also, Finale might make it difficult to ensure correct
> beaming, since it will alternate its default beaming between 6/8 and
> 3/4 in each subsequent measure. That's what "adding" timesigs together
> is supposed to denote.
>
> --
> Brad Beyenhof
> Real-time Finale discussion: http://www.finaleirc.com
> my blog: http://augmentedfourth.blogspot.com
> Silence will save me from being wrong (and foolish), but it will also
> deprive me of the possibility of being right.       ~ Igor Stravinsky

If there is a quarter and a half in the bar, then the music is in 3/4
if there is a quarter and an eighth tied to dotted quarter, then it is
6/8.

My most often performed piece shifts between 3/4 and 6/8; it's easy
for musicians to figure out (it's been played a lot even at the high
school level).

As far as Finale thinking the meter is 6/8 + 3/4, all you'd need do is
"use a different signature for display" in the time sig tool. Beaming
could either be accomplished by region using the rebeam command, or if
the meter changed too frequently, it would have to be done by hand; I
find that pretty quick.

I agree that addling time sigs together denotes actual addition, but
putting one in parenthesis denotes an option not addition. In my
experience this is common enough not to be problematic.

-Carolyn