to me it makes more sense the word "schliessen" -which in german is not spelled with to "s" but with a sign i dont have in my computer but that produces the sound of two "s"- which, among its many acceptations means to close, to conclude, to lock, which is what a slur does when it "locks" or "encloses" the notes within it. the "ge" before the word is to establish the past participle of the tense in which the verve is being used .

gr

Jörg Peltzer wrote:

Andrew Stiller schrieb:

I'm working on a 19th-c. score with instructions in both English and German. At one point, the composer cautions that some triplets are to be "slurred" (since the slur on a triplet does not by itself necessarily imply that a slur is to be performed), and gives a German equivalent that looks like "geschlitten." My German dictionary says that's not a word, so I've made it "geschliffen," wh. is sort of odd, but at least fits what I'm seeing on the page.

Query to the German speakers on this list: does "geschliffen" make sense in this context, and if not, what other reading might you suggest?

BTW: the composer was a native speaker of German, so that's not the problem.

Andrew Stiller
Kallisti Music Press
http://home.netcom.com/~kallisti/

Hello,

yes makes a kind of sense, "geschliffen" derives from the word "schleifen". But i wouldn`t think that "slur" is equivalent to "schleifen", it's more like glissando or portamento.
If the composer is native german, this would make more sense.

greeting
Jörg