Phil Daley wrote:

At 1/27/2006 11:40 AM, dhbailey wrote:

 >It's time we start celebrating the LIVING composers, those who are
 >chronicling OUR TIMES in their music, reflecting OUR LIVES in their art.

The trouble with LIVING composers is that they don't write music that the "average" concert goer wants to hear.

You may not think that is a problem, but, in reality, the "average" concert goer likes to hear music they are familiar with.

That's patently not true -- when I conducted an orchestra we performed music by living composers and it was very well received.

Not all music by living composers is what the audience wants to hear, but then neither is all the music by dead composers.

You should visit [EMAIL PROTECTED] to read about all the performances living composers are getting, to great receptions by both musicians and audiences.

The sad part is that such great breakthroughs are still just a drop in the programming bucket compared to the programming given to long-dead composers.

If all audiences heard were music by living composers, they'd soon be familiar with it, so that those audience members who only want to hear what they're familiar with would still be able to hear music they are familiar with.

--
David H. Bailey