From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
David W. Fenton
Sent: Saturday, 28 January 2006 12:01 PM
To: finale@shsu.edu
Subject: RE: [Finale] Happy 250th Birthday Mozart

On 28 Jan 2006 at 11:02, keith helgesen wrote:

> David- you really are very offensive sometimes.

I don't try to be. I just call it as I see it.

In this case, I found the post that I was responding to highly
offensive, myself, since it was quite insulting to present-day
composers, blaming them for the lack of interest of some parts of the
listening audience.

I wasn't the only one who had problems with that statement.

> Anyone not of the same opinion as you is either stupid, un-educated or
> nearly dead. (Presumably that means any one older than you!)

I suggest that you re-read my entire post, and read the last
paragraph in context. I can't see how anyone could reach the
conclusion above unless they were purposely ignoring the content of
my post.

If you do that, you'll see that age has nothing to do with my
criticism. I was criticizing people of all ages (and backgrounds) who
refuse to try anything different or new, just because it is
unfamiliar.

If you want to defend those people, go right ahead.

But attacking me personally won't do anything to further the
argument.

And it's certainly not going to make me alter my posting style, which
is exactly the same as it has always been, as long as I've been using
the Internet (since 1994). Perhaps I'm a throwback to an older era
when people spoke more plainly and forcefully, and did not hedge
their opinions in an attempt to disguise significant disagreement
and, I guess, avoid conflict. I have no problem with conflict -- I
think it's healthy.

If you don't, then just ignore my posts. Your blood pressure will
probably remain in a healthier range and the list won't be crowded
with complaints about style that completely ignore the arguments
being put forward.