John Howell wrote:
At 11:25 PM +0000 1/28/06, Owain Sutton wrote:
John Howell wrote:

(Academic: A composer who earns a living teaching because s/he cannot write music that earns a living, but argues that any music that sells is a sellout.)

A thoroughly unfair stereotype. Most composers I know who are in academia would dearly love to be able to make enough money from writing music to get out of teaching.

Oh, I agree completely! But are they willing to analyze the marketplace and produce music suited to it? Mozart did. Haydn did. Bach did. So did DuFay, Josquin, Palestrina and Byrd. I don't believe anyone has ever accused them of "selling out"!

And I don't mean just movie scores or pop arrangements, either. There are markets for good, singable church music that an average choir can handle, and innovative choral music suitable for both professional and university choruses that is within their grasp. If a composer insists on writing music that only 3 choruses or 6 singers or 2 string quartets in the world can sing well, s/he had better know those performers and conductors very well! Same thing for symphonic music (when there's a wide open market for wind band music), solo sonatas and character pieces, and high quality literature for students at every level. There are lots of markets, but not for people who look down on them.

John

Some good points, perhaps, although I think you need a bit more evidence before making such claims about Dufay or Josquin with such certainty! However, moulding one's music to fit the market expectation is *not* necessary in order to make a living from composing, and there *are* composers who do so with music that nobody would describe as toned-down or sold-out.

However, your general tone seems to look on the composer purely in a utilitarian manner - particularly in the suggestion that wind band music is the way forward.