Hi All,

I'm doing a bit of research, and thought I might offer up a question to
the many experienced members of the list.

Type-setters use some relative units of measurement, for example, the em
(equal to the same point size as the type being set) and the en (one
half of an em space).  I am wondering what the main relative units of
measurement are in music engraving (or, if in fact any exist)?  I would
think equivalents to em and en would be staff line space (i.e. the
vertical distance between two lines on the staff) and half-line space,
but are there any width-based measurements?  Perhaps the width of a
notehead, or whole-note?

Ultimately, I'm hoping to further develop and refine some computer
algorithms for music spacing, and I'm very interested in how the
traditional, non-computer engravers approached their layouts.

Thanks for any assistance,

Best Regards,
Scott