On Jan 27, 2006, at 11:23 PM, dc wrote:

How many verses can one put under a vocal line without confusing the singer? I'm doing an Italian piece with no less than 10 verses. How many should I keep under the music? And then, what do I do with the others? Add the text only after the music? Repeat the music with new text?

A good answer will depend on the context -- both the genre of music and the performance situation.

In my work, I avoid ever having more than three lines of lyrics. If there are four verses with identical music, then I repeat the music and split them two and two. Now that we have mass mover and repeating the music doesn't entail hand-copying the page, it makes sense.

When doing this, split the verses so that 1,2,3 are on the first page, 4,5,6 on the next, etc -- as opposed to continuing forward through three verses then jumping all the way back to the beginning for three more, like you sometimes see with cheap pop music. You want to minimize the number of page turns, and especially backward page turns.

In my opinion, although exceeding three lines of lyric isn't strictly forbidden, it should only be done if there's some specific reason, which might be;

(1) Your publishing context is such that you really can't spare a second page (eg, in a hymnal);

(2) You know that the singer will memorize the song, and/or you know the singers don't read music anyway;

(3) The client insists on having it that way; or

(4) It's a cheap and sloppy job and you just want to get the damn thing on paper as fast as possible.

The point is, having more than three verses is definitely a hardship for the singer. The question is whether there is some other consideration that is more important than making the music easy for the singer to read.

Repeating the voice part on a separate staff can be useful, though it's not very common. I've seen it mostly in 19th century printings, especially when the syllable scansion varies considerably between verses while the accompaniment remains identcal. Writing it like this is mildly confusing to the classical musician (who on first glance will think it's a duet), so it should be clearly labeled.

I would never print lyrics of extra verses at the bottom of the page for any music which I expect a singer to be reading while singing. I know that this is common with a lot of pop music. Any time I see that, I figure the publisher is tacitly acknowledging that the audience is singers who really don't read music.

mdl