At 8:12 PM -0500 1/29/06, Raymond Horton wrote:
Damn the plain text formatting that ruined my ever-so-thoughtful reply! I'm reposting it with the extra spaces that are (sometimes, but not always) necessary for my posts to look like I want them. (When I get a minute I'll explore the options in Thunderbird.)

Personal opinion:  Any song with 10 verses shows lack of craft on the
part of the poet, quite typical of amateurs, and needs to be either
shortened or "arranged" so that you aren't repeating the same music
over and over and over and over and ...

I forget the type of song which began this thread. In the case of hymns, large numbers of verses can be appropriate in certain instances. For congregational singing, variety of musical treatment is not _necessarily_ necessary, and not all printed stanzas are sung on every occasion.

First posting looked fine to me.

No, I wasn't thinking of hymns, but of the kind of pop songs that college-age pseudo-songwriters who have never bothered to learn basic theory or how to notate what they (supposedly) hear in their heads come up with. Some of them have the feeling that if 2 verses of lyrics are good, 4 verses are 8 times as good! 'Tain't necessarily so. A good many long-established ballads do have many verses--I'm thinking of Barb'ra Ellen--but it's because they are story ballads and it takes that long to tell the story. With a song like that, I do try to reflect the story in the arrangement instead of simply repeating the same setting for each verse, but that's just me and the way my mind works.

John

--
John & Susie Howell
Virginia Tech Department of Music