Cecil Rigby wrote:

just wondering---
Why is it that when I view at 75% the rulers have inches that are correct,
but at 100% view inches are one and five-eighths long? It's obvious the
length is relative to view, but one would expect an inch to be the right
length at 100% view, no?

Would I expect the ruler to be correct relative to the absolute of the inch as measured by a ruler held to the screen? No. I would expect the ruler to be correct with respect to the relative length of the inch relative to the printed document. I'm guessing that this is "hardware creep". When the interface was first designed, monitors were 12 inches, and the inch of the ruler on the screen was close to the actual size of an inch on the printed score. Now that monitors are approaching half again the size of the original monitor (19 inches, 21 inches, 23 inches) the inch on the screen appears larger accordingly.

ns