On Feb 15, 2006, at 6:25 AM, dhbailey wrote:

I don't think it matters if you're doing it on a per-frame basis (that's certainly easy enough to calculate even before you enter it into Finale) makes a difference on the final quote, just make sure you've looked at all the frames so that you're acquainted with the most comlex of them.

Pricing on a per-item basis seems too nit-picky for me, and were I a client I wouldn't hire someone who charges using that method.

I'm sure others will chime in with their thoughts on this issue.

I sure will! 8-)

I find that most clients don't want to know how you calculate it; they just want to know how much it will cost them. As a result, I work out frame rates and guesstimate hours, and I think about how the final product will be used (my usual quick and dirty one-live-performance, or something that will stay in the library for a while, or for publication (rarely in my case)) and from all that I cobble together a fixed price and give it to them to be accepted or refused.

Sometimes I screw myself (only lightly these days, as I am getting better at pricing), sometimes I come out ahead, but mostly I am somewhere in the ballpark.

Some clients need to be told the Golden Triangle Rule, which is an excellent principle for contractors of all types:

"Good, Fast, and Cheap. Pick any two."

Good and fast won't be cheap, fast and cheap won't be good, while cheap and good won't be fast, because I will do it when I have nothing better to do.

Christopher

(BTW, Dennis Collins, from what I have seen of your work, 45 minutes per page for that quality of output is terrific! You are working in a domain where I don't find myself very often, so maybe I am unduly impressed, but I am impressed just the same. At an hourly rate of $40, you would charge about $30 per page, which is a bargain for the quality, IMHO.)