On 16.02.2006 David W. Fenton wrote:
Yes, that is what I said. It's sad for the recording side of things.
> It's good for the critical edition side of things. Who has got more
> money?

The logic behind your argument escapes me. If the recordings are abandoned because of the fact that the record companies would lose money if they paid the editors the royalties, then where is the extra money going to come from to line the pockets of the editors? If no recordings are made, then there's no recording to sell to generate the revenue to pay the royalties. No egg, no chicken.

With the same argumentation you could also argue that musicians should not be paid because this stops concerts from being put on. Very silly, if you asked me. Do you also think that concerts should only be given as a hobby for no money? Perhaps the same should apply to composers? After all, if they didn't ask for any money they might get performed more often.

Johannes
--
http://www.musikmanufaktur.com
http://www.camerata-berolinensis.de