On 17 Feb 2006 at 1:06, Johannes Gebauer wrote:

> On 16.02.2006 David W. Fenton wrote:
> > I'm not calling for editors to not be paid, or to be paid less. I'm
> > simply calling for them to not be paid *more* than they have been in
> > the past, especially when it's justified by a claim that amounts to
> > stealing the compositional work of dead composers.
>
> And all I said was the law grants royalties, and Hyperion should have
> known that. . . .

It seems to me that you are simply wrong on this. The law until
*this* lawsuit reached its conclusion in the appeals court
categorically did *not* grant royalties to the kind of work Sawkins
did in editing. The law in the UK is now altered (it's now more like
Germany's law, if I understand what you've said about it).

> . . . Whether you like it or not, Hyperion played with the fire
> and got badly burned. . . .

Hyperion was acting in accordance with how the applicable law in the
UK had been interpreted up to that point. Sawkins was asking for what
amounted to a change in the law.

> . . . I repeat what I said in my very first post on
> the subject: I am not taking sides on this whole issue (especially as
> I am actually part of all sides, musician, editor, and record
> company), but I do see this decision as being in line with the law,
> and actually not at all surprising. I totally agree that the amount
> granted by the court is well over the top, . .

I've read both decisions, but I don't know that I recall any numbers
for the royalties awarded. The large numbers I *have* read (£1
million) were describing Hyperion's likely legal expenses in fighting
the Sawkins suit.

> . . . but Hyperion simply should
> have known better. . . .

I don't see how they could have known better, as they were operating
under the to-then-standard interpretation of the applicable UK
copyright law.

The results of this lawsuit break new ground and give rights to
editors that were not there before this lawsuit reached judgment in
the appeals court.

> . . . I see absolutely no reason for them to consider
> themselves as the victim in this case. Then, I don't know many of the
> details, but so far I have not heard a single argument in this whole
> discussion that would make me believe that the court ruling was wrong,
> or out of line. And I don't actually see any impact (other than for
> Hyperion).

Since you have not read either of the decisions, I think your
opinions on these matters do not carry much weight.

Likewise, you have repeatedly argued from a position (the one you
reiterate in the passages quoted above) that is at odds with the
facts, that being that Hyperion was trying to avoid a royalty it was
legally required to pay. That is 100% contrafactual, and was the
entire issue in dispute in this lawsuit -- before Sawkins vs.
Hyperion was concluded in the appeals court, UK record companies were
not legally obligated to pay performance/recording royalties to
editors.

That has now changed, and it means a change in the structuring and
financing of all early music recording projects by adding more people
to the list of those who receive royalties.

Secondly, by refusing to read the decisions, you are missing out on
how musically and musicologically (and purely logically) unsound the
reasoning of the original trial judge happened to be. While the law
can be read in any way that courts choose to read it, the law is more
respected when those decisions are based on reasoning that is logical
and consistent in the subject areas involved. In this case, the
reasoning is pretty much nonsensical, and leads to results that are
completely at odds with plain readings of the facts. While it is
never wise to think about law as being based in "common sense," it
*does* need to be rational in its bases, or it becomes merely
arbitrary and capricious. This is a decision that puts the law in a
poor light because the judges have repeatedly chosen the less logical
readings of almost every aspect of musical fact that they were asked
to consider in making their decision.

You may not have a problem with the result, and, frankly, I'm not
sure I am bothered as a matter of copyright law, but the law in the
UK has been changed by this decision on the basis of specious and
erroneous interpretation of the musical and musicological evidence
that was examined. I think that's a bad thing, especially since a
correct and more logical consideration of the evidence would likely
have reached the opposite conclusion.

And, in fact, Sawkins could have lost this suit and still have
changed the law. It's possible for a court to find that there are
cases where an editor's contribution is sufficiently original to
engender independent copyright in the edition while also finding that
Sawkins's work was not sufficient to meet that standard (the first
judge did find that only 3 of the 4 pieces Sawkins editing qualified
for copyright protection, because the 4th lacked sufficient original
contributions by Sawkins). So, the change of law could have happened
without being based on specious and erroneous interpretations of the
specific case that motivated the lawsuit.

But you wouldn't know any of that because you refuse to read the
court decisions.