On Feb 16, 2006, at 2:53 PM, Chuck Israels wrote:

On Feb 16, 2006, at 11:38 AM, John Howell wrote:

It also bothers me when a composer assumes that there ARE discrete dynamic levels, and writes, for example, mp in violin, cello and bass parts but mf in the viola part, intended to instruct the violas to bring out their part, when the violas have no idea what dynamic the other parts have. Yes, the conductor can see it, but it's an invitation to stop rehearsal to explain what could be easily indicated in the music by "bring out" or something similar.

I like Hochstimme and Nebenstimme symbols for this. They seem quite useful to me. Bill Duncan's (Oh boy, I seem like a shill for him) new Articulation Font has these symbols.

Or common in jazz: "lead" and "obbl." (for obbligato).

I only ever have to write "no lead" on trumpet parts. I wonder why? 8-)

(Don't bother answering, I know why. It's part of writing not only for the instrument, but for the musician.)

Christopher