"Robert Patterson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote

> A more interesting question for clefs with CB is whether to continue
> to notate them 8vb below sounding pitch. This can be a quite difficult
> choice. A note that has excessive leger lines in 8vb bass clef can be
> too low in at-pitch tenor or treble.

> My understanding is that professional bass players can routinely read
> 8vb bass, 8vb tenor, and at-pitch treble.  I'm not as sure about
> at-pitch tenor. In any case, any clef change probably requires a
> notation as to whether it is 8vb or at pitch.

Ken Moore wrote:
I don't know of any convention that string bass parts in tenor or treble clef should be played at pitch. I would hope that if that was required it would be annotated specifically. One meets treble clef rarely, but on the three occasions that I have played Shostakovich's 10th symphony, I have played the (fiendish) treble clef passage in the scherzo with the 8vb transposition, as a continuation of the bass clef convention. So did all the other players, and the conductors never commented.

As a late comer to the bass, after many years of piano and horn, I much prefer treble to tenor clef and, after a fair amount of score reading, prefer alto to it also.

Where has anyone come across a bass passage printed loco (except in a C score, of course)? It's non-standard. Even harmonics should be written to be sounding 8ba.

Bass players, in order to cover all the available solo and orchestral literature, have to learn treble and tenor clefs, both sounding 8ba. They usually prefer treble, but tenor passages are out there, also. Alto clef should not be used. It's really that simple.

They still have it easier than trombonists, who have four clefs to read!

Raymond Horton