Phil Daley wrote:

At 2/17/2006 01:20 PM, Darcy James Argue wrote:

 >On 17 Feb 2006, at 11:12 AM, Christopher Smith wrote:
 >
 >> He also claims that each out-of-tune note Dylan sings is an
 >> integral part of the work,
 >
 >What makes you think it isn't?

Didn't Cage say that coughing and sneezing during a performance meant that each performance was unique?

I personally don't buy it.

Cage often pushed the boundaries. But, as a primarily jazz musician, I have to agree that changes in the performance make each performance an unique qork. That said, what the baudience does rarely has any significant effet. (Though the one time the drunk walked through the middle of the band did alter things noticeably).

cd
--
http://www.livejournal.com/users/dershem/#