On 16 Feb 2006 at 23:36, Andrew Stiller wrote:

> On Feb 16, 2006, at 3:46 PM, David W. Fenton wrote:
>
> > In the case of the missing cornet parts, my guess is that it's
> > pretty clear that your choices are limited to to 2 or 3 different
> > notes within any harmonic context, but the figuration and voicing
> > need to be determined with no real information on what they should
> > have been.
>
> I think that's overly optimistic. A "cornet solo" could, within the
> style of the  composer and his period, be  quite elaborate and full of
> non-harmonic tones  of all kinds. . . .

Well, I was assuming accompanimental roles for the cornets, and not
any solos.

> . . . The guidance from the orchestral
> context in such a situation is really very limited, and the variety of
> credible solutions immense. . . .

If nobody in the rest of the orchestra has the leading part, that
might imply that the cornet had it at that point. But if there were a
doubling of a cornet solo by another instrument, that could mask the
solo role of the cornet, so, yes, you're right -- I was overly
optimistic, because I was thinking of a particular kind of cornet
part (from my experience with band music, as copyist and arranger).