Our first trombonist growns whenever this shows up. I'm sure she would love to play one of the lower editions.

Michael Cook wrote:

In the Eulenburg score the 1st trombone has some high Cs (measures 147-9) but I didn't see a high D. In the Dover edition (where all three parts are written on one staff, in bass clef) the 1st trombone never goes that high: at a quick glance the highest note is an E just above middle C.

What is sure is that the trombone parts were not added to this piece: they were there already but were removed (or simply not used) for the first performance of "Barbiere". The story, if I remember rightly, goes something like this: Rossini had written an overture for "Barbiere" composed of Spanish themes, but at the last minute decided that it wasn't good enough. He didn't have time to compose a new one, so he used an overture that he was presumably proud of, having used it in two previous operas. He probably had a look at the scoring, quickly saw that the piece would work without trombones, and gave the parts to the musicians. He didn't make a new version of the score: there was no time and this wasn't necessary anyway: he, or any other conductor, could conduct from the old score with the trombone parts in it. What later happened when the piece became a success and was edited, I do not know: the piece has gone through so many editions that it would be a huge work of research to find out.

In fact: Johannes, why do you need to know the scoring? Has all this discussion given you the reply you wanted?

Michael