At 1:54 PM -0800 2/19/06, Chuck Israels wrote:

*The most readable staff size is 8.5mm, measured from the bottom to the top of the staff.

I think that's 100%, and looks too large to my eye.

On a music stand, with a stand partner, with a reading distance of 30-36" to the far side of the page, and eyes that need trifocals? The guideline specifies strings, and strings have stand partners (give or take the bass section).

*Measure numbers at beginning of line ONLY.

OK, except I use enclosed measure numbers above the staff as form delineators, so they sometimes appear in other places.

With all due respect to MOLA, I learned my lesson on this way back in the '60s. For recording studio charts, every bar is numbered, because even a few seconds spent searching for a specific bar adds up to minutes during a session and minutes cost big money. Same thing is true, even if the costs are less, of rehearsals with backup bands (which is what I was doing in the '60s). If it's good enough for them, it's good enough for me, and I continue to number every bar in everything I write. The numbers are small, but they're there for when they're needed. And I too have recently started using enclosed bar numbers rather than rehearsal letters or consecutive numbers, and I place them to delineate form, always.

The biggest no-no in my estimation is numbering (and breaking multimeasure rests) every 10 bars, which NEVER lines up with the phrasing. Drives me nuts to have to read from parts done that way.

John

I do my best to get the beginnings of phrases to start at the beginning of the line, but that sometimes leads to too many or too few notes in one line of music, and my judgment call on this is to balance the readability of more or less uniform "content per line" weighed against the preference for formal clarity.

*60- or 70-lb offset paper, printed both sides.

Well, not for accordion fold parts, which are what most of my charts call for. I have a VPS jig w/their special tape, which is nice for booklet type parts, but that is not as practical a solution for jazz charts.

So if I were more industrious I would look to see what reductions those are in Finale, but this should give you something to go on, anyway!

PS: WHERE DO YOU GET THE PARTS PAPER???

Dave Berger orders it in big lots from time to time and asks his friends to go in on the order with him. I usually order two boxes of 3000 sheets at a time. I think the more people who are in on these orders, the less expensive and more practical it is. I see no reason why you couldn't join the consortium.

Chuck

Chuck Israels
230 North Garden Terrace
Bellingham, WA 98225-5836