On 20.02.2006 John Howell wrote:
I think that's 100%, and looks too large to my eye.

On a music stand, with a stand partner, with a reading distance of 30-36" to
the far side of the page, and eyes that need trifocals? The guideline specifies
strings, and strings have stand partners (give or take the bass section).

Being a string player, I'd say that Finale's 100% is indeed too large. If I had to read a symphony from that size, it would surely drive me nuts. In addition to less measures in a system, it also often means more crowded pages, or too many page turns.

Personally, for orchestral parts, I think 80-85% is good, smaller than 75% is bad.

For chamber music 75%-80% is ok, especially if it avoids unnecessary page turns. There is a very good example of a Bärenreiter print of a Leclair Trio Suite (one of the "Recréation de la musique") where the excessively long Chaconne is printed in reduced percentage, to fit on 2 pages. Imo that's a very good solution for this piece, which has no rests at all in the violin parts.

Today Bärenreiter might decide to include a fold-out (as they did for example for the Bach E major violin concerto solo part; Henle did this for the first violin part of Schubert's death and maiden), but in the case of the Leclair Trio it really is a practical solution, since the piece is not terribly difficult.

I really think such decisions need to be made on a per case basis.

Johannes
--
http://www.musikmanufaktur.com
http://www.camerata-berolinensis.de