On Mar 6, 2006, at 5:09 PM, Éric Dussault wrote:

teñyo : te-ñyo or teñ-yo
descoñyo : des-co-ñyo-ci-da or des-coñ-yo-ci-da

I really prefer the second choice, but still have a slight hesitation.

These are non-standard spellings, so it's hard to say for sure, but I incline strongly toward your first choices. Standard Portuguese doesn't even have an "ñ" character, and in Spanish, where the character comes from, you wouldn't see it followed by a "y".

Nevertheless, the general pattern in both Spanish and Portuguese is that an intervocalic consonant is going to go with the following vowel (unless a clear prefix or compound derivation attaches it to the previous one). By splitting between the ñ and y you'd basically be saying that the y is functioning as a consonant completely separate from the ñ. Without understanding why the -ñy- spelling exists at all, I can't say for sure that it doesn't, but it sure doesn't look that way to me. It looks to me like they go together and it's a variant spelling for modern -nh- or -ñ-.

Therefore, unless someone comes up with a compelling argument to the contrary, I would feel completely confident splitting te-ñyo and des-co-ñyo-ci-da.

second question:
In spanish (or castellan in this case), would the words with 2 ll's (for example senzillo) separate between the two “l” like it normally does?

Never separate a double L in Spanish. No exception.

mdl