On 13 Mar 2006 at 13:49, Kim Patrick Clow wrote:

> I'm sorry my earlier quote wasn't complete
> attempt #2 from the Barenreiter site:
>
> "In Mozart's day the Italian operatic symphony normally consisted of
> three rather short orchestral pieces in the order fast - slow - fast.
> For Ascanio in Alba, however, he characteristically varied the
> conventional formula. That this was something unusual is made clear by
> the fact that Leopold Mozart took pains to give an exact account of
> this overtura to his wife:

As I've said, I don't think there's anything at all clear about it
being "unusual."

> . . . "So far Wolfgang has only written the
> overture, that is, a rather long Allegro, followed by an Andante,
> which has to be danced, but only by a few people. Instead of the final
> Allegro he has composed a kind of contredanse and chorus to be sung
> and danced at the same time" (Briefe I, p. 433). Leopold has also left
> us an account of the performance, which is of interest in that it
> gives us an idea of the forces used at that time: "The Andante of the
> symphony is danced by eleven women, that is, eight genies and three
> graces, or eight graces and three goddesses. The final Allegro of the
> symphony is a chorus with thirty-two voices - eight sopranos, eight
> contraltos, eight tenors and eight basses - and is danced by sixteen
> persons at the same time, eight men and eight women" (Briefe I, p.
> 436). We are inclined to regard the fifteen-year-old Mozart's
> transformation of the overture as a stroke of genius: the form has
> been altered to accommodate a special feature of the libretto, but in
> such a way that listeners still descry the familiar design.

There is nothing really out of the ordinary going on here -- the
three-movement overture with chorus existed as an alternative to the
three-movement opera overture, and was probably used more frequently
in music dramas in the pastoral tradition (as Ascanio clearly is).

> . . . Parini's
> libretto called for a short dance (breve ballo) between the two
> sections as the city of Alba begins to emerge under the hands of the
> shepherds and shepherdesses (see "The Plot" below and p. 194).
> Probably because of its relative brevity, Mozart had to compose this
> interpolated dance music himself. This was not the usual practice:
> ballet numbers were generally commissioned from lesser composers."

I'm not so sure this is correct. We have a great deal of ballet music
from Handel and Mozart and Gluck right in the middle of their operas.

In short, this Bärenreiter source is not reliable -- it's little more
than program notes, and makes a number of assertions unwarranted by
the context of the quotes it uses to make its case.