David Fenton wrote some excellent points.

I don't know Zaslaw's rational for his words, but given his considerable expertise, I am sure he's aware of the Haydn overtures you mentioned. And while I can't recall if Mr. Zaslaw used the wording choral symphony, that's why I used quotes.  I think it would be fair to say that the form of Symphony was in a state of flux and definitely wasn't set in concrete. As Haydn and Gluck were apparently doing things along the same path as Mozart.

But my question about this remains this version of  this overture/symphony/with a chorus as a 3rd movement, didn't get included in the CD versions of the Hogwood recordings then? I wonder why?

Thanks!

Kim Patrick Clow
"There's really only two types of music: good and bad." ~ Rossini