On 13 Mar 2006 at 15:43, Kim Patrick Clow wrote:

> David Fenton wrote some excellent points.
>
> I don't know Zaslaw's rational for his words, but given his
> considerable expertise, I am sure he's aware of the Haydn overtures
> you mentioned. . . .

I'm not so sure of that. I know for a fact whose work is the basis
for much of the documentation in his symphony book, and it isn't
Zaslaw himself.

> . . . And while I can't recall if Mr. Zaslaw used the wording
> choral symphony, that's why I used quotes.  I think it would be fair
> to say that the form of Symphony was in a state of flux and definitely
> wasn't set in concrete. . . .

These weren't symphonies. They were opera overtures. While those were
also often given the designation "sinfonia," the genre conventions
were completely different than the ones Beethoven was operating
within when he wrote the Ninth.

> . . . As Haydn and Gluck were apparently doing
> things along the same path as Mozart.
>
> But my question about this remains this version of  this
> overture/symphony/with a chorus as a 3rd movement, didn't get included
> in the CD versions of the Hogwood recordings then? I wonder why?

Because there is no reason to believe that it ever existed as an
independent piece. It's a figment of somebody's imagination.