On Mar 15, 2006, at 8:55 PM, Darcy James Argue wrote:

It's much easier to see some indication that spans the entire length of a phrase, so you know how long it is at a glance. If you see a really long slur, you know you need to take a really big breath. Using ties alone makes it harder to see that at a glance.

I agree with this. Slurs are so easy to adjust now that they can be made to lie quite flat and keep an uncluttered look without much effort.

I tend to shape a phrase with regards to a slur, as do most players I gig with, so I think most wind players see them as more than breath and articulation markings.

Christopher