Christopher Smith wrote:

Oh, I don't think we were talking about terminology at all; we were discussing what shape slurs should have. I don't think it makes any difference if they are serving as slurs or phrase marks.

I was just saying that I thought it is not necessary to have perfectly flat parts of slurs, as Mark prefers over long passages, as they might start to look the same as brackets, staff lines, and other things that are horizontal flat lines. For me it was a question of clarity.

But I can tell you that as a trombone player, we generally articulate EVERY note, slur or not. The slurs are a sound, not a mechanical instruction, for trombone players.

Christopher

Some trombone players do, some don't. Many of us Chicago-type disciples natural slur (with no tongue) every legato note possible.

But you are right about it not making any difference to the notation whether it's a slur or a phrase mark.
Raymond Horton
Bass Trombonist
Louisville Orchestra