dc wrote:

Éric Dussault écrit:

I was working on a vocal piece this week and noticed that Finale 2006
is automatically transforming common ligatures (like fi to Þ for
example). Once an eps is exported into a DTP program, the ligatures
are gone. Is this a bug, and can someone replicate this problem?
A screenshot and a pdf made from the eps can be seen here:
http://tinyurl.com/evzj6

It highlights 2 problems for me:

1) If it was working as expected and I did not want Finale to replace
common ligatures automatically, is there a way to desactivate this
feature and just see things like I entered it in Finale?
2) If I really want this feature, is there a way to make it work and
look the same when printed as on-screen?

This is interesting, because I've gone through a lot of trouble to get ligatures in Finale, and never found any way to do so. What font are you using, and what kind of a font is it?

Dennis

Before jumping to conclusions about whether that really is a ligature or is actually simply two characters kerned too closely so they appear in the eps as a ligature, I would suggest that some other letter combinations be added to verse 2 and 3 and 4, right beneath the fi of the example, for instance: fe and ft and fl and fd so that there are varying examples of the f to look at, and that it should also be looked at under great magnification.

I'm not convinced it's a true ligature.

--
David H. Bailey